Before any test approach is designed, we basically foresee and analyze what could be the possible challenges which is relevant to that specific application/interface or infrastructure.
As we are talking about Mainframes, we can basically foresee some of the very common factors/challenges like
- Building a Test environment is a difficult task to start with.
- The mainframe application streams use complex processing methods/models, due to the extreme volume of interface combinations.
- As mainframes are usually internal and intranet-based, testing the business operations externally in a user’s perspective is very hard.
- There is a high vulnerability that the approach taken to test other applications may not be structured enough to suite a mainframe-based application testing.
- The test tools which are required for automating mainframe application is a very unique ask and very few tools out there have this capability.
The Test approach should primarily address the need for
- Extensive use of Test Harness and Test Stubs
- Critical focus has been put on Unit testing, for the developers to execute. Unit Test results should be shared with test teams
- Test approach should make sure that all related interfaces are tested.
Use of structured test automation tools should be considered, Example: QA Hiperstation (which intercepts 3270 Datastreams), Compuware FileAid (for IMS/DB2), QTP (with Terminal Emulator Add-in) for automating a manual process.
- Testing should emphasize on user operations and business objectives.
The hottest topic which is going around in the IT world is “CLOUD COMPUTING”. And yes, the idea is phenominal and delivers anything to anywhere, this framework is completly going to change the way, we use computer applications today.
There are primarily three types of services offered in the cloud, that would be
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Well lets keep the serious stuff aside for now, I will blog on the details later. And lets look at the comical side of it ENJOY!!